Digital Customer Service
I ain’t no Digital communication expert but I can cite an example to put things in perspective on consumer’s behavior in choosing their preferred mode when it comes to reaching out to their service provider’s customer care.
One of the main medium to reach a service provider for a Customer is phone, infact, it is still the largest preferable mode. To give you a perspective would like to give you an example of the largest telecom sector of India, their customer base is 20 crore (apprx) and the percentage of calls what they get is 70 lac(apprx). The other modes of customer service like Email, Web Based, APP is just 6 lacs.
The above numbers have started slowly and steadily change with people trying to use service providers web based portals, apps, send emails mostly through their smart phones/desktops.
This equation will change if large service providers make their apps more user friendly to report bugs/complaints or to chat or even email services. The ease of operation of these (self care portals, app’s) would result in lesser transactions and the service providers can focus on quality of interaction through chat/email service requires a differential treatment.
With accessibility to Smart phones and data services, It would be such a boon for customer to do away with the pain of going through the rigmarole of complicated IVRS, then the busy lines if agents are busy. Although, the choices for customers are individualistic in nature, that said, since, the technological advancement and smart phone users have shot up in hypersonic speed, and service providers taking cognizance of it, It is only a matter of time that the preference of mode will take a gradual shift from calls to modes like emails/web portals/app based chats.
So are the service providers ready to get their partners equip to handle transactions in the manner they are supposed to. The skillset of these representatives are different, requires some investment in training of folks, they should have a flair for writing. The implication of a wrong email/chat going to a customer can get circulated not only to customers friends, but can be a viral too, besides, carrying a risk of getting into a legal tangle as well.
In this context, it is important that the team which manages correspondence has the following abilities :
- Excellent Written Communication Skill :
- a) Choosing right words to communicate clearly is essential.
- b) Skills related to grammar, spelling, and composition
- c) Free flow writing with excellent vocabulary
- Comprehension Skills :
- a) Interpret and evaluate the customer email with the given information
- b) Connect information to the existing process
- Good Logical reasoning skill :
- a) Process of using a rational, systemic series of steps based on the given process
- Resolution Oriented :
- a) Should look at resolving the issue the first time
- b) Can do attitude to delight customer with every transaction
- Email etiquette :
- a) Standard structure makes the email to looks better
- b) Paragraphs that are short, concise, and to the point